The Skeena is the second largest river in British Columbia flowing through the community of Terrace before making her way through the stunning coastal mountains and old growth forest for about 120km on her way to meet the Pacific Ocean. People from all over the world flock here to fish her waters. The Skeena hosts some of the largest and biggest runs of wild steelhead and salmon in the world. Salmon over 100lbs. and steelhead over 40lbs. have been taken from her waters.
The Kitimat River is another famous river located about 70km south east of Terrace. This river boasts some of the best spring steelhead fishing that northern B.C. has to offer. These fish are usually chrome bright and fight like no other.
The Steelhead House in nestled in the heart of Skeena country and not too far from the Kitimat and Nass watersheds. To anglers these rivers are the Holy Grail when it comes to steelhead and salmon fishing. Our season begins in March when the steelhead start showing up chrome bright and fresh from the ocean. By the first week of May the big springs (Chinook salmon) make their first appearance of the year. It is not uncommon to see them exceed 50lbs. Runoff is usually in the month of June and then by July you have pinks and sockeye salmon showing up followed by summer run steelhead, coho and chum. There are not too many times through the year when you can't wet a line.
Whether you are with us on a fishing package or doing it on your own here at The Steelhead House you are treated with a level of customer service like no other.
All our fishing packages include your accommodation with airport pick-up and drop-off, your meals and your guiding and instruction.
What You Need To Bring!
- Single hand rod should be 8wt or 9wt and 9 1/2ft or 10ft.
- Double hand rod should be 7wt, 8wt, or 9wt and 12 1/2ft to 13 1/2ft
- Lines-dry line and skagit line with multi-tips.
- 15 ft (type 3, type 6, type 8) sink tip
- Also 8ft T11 and 10ft T11 sink tip
- Some extra Steelhead flies but most will be provided. Best colours to look for are pink, black, and purple.
- Maxima Ultra Green tippet material 12lb and 15lb spool.
- Good rain jacket, waders, boots and lots of warm under layers. Plus heavy socks, wool hat and a good pair of gloves.